Monday, October 17, 2005

40 year old Virgin - 85%


This is a great comedy, possibly one of the best I've watched these few years. This one has all the nasties of those "American Pie" comedies, but it combines it with wit and a heart. Rather unique combination. This is one comedy that after watching, leave you with plenty of thinking. Not those serious concerns or anything, but it is a movie that will provide food for thoughts.

Movie stars Steve Carrell (Daily Show) who plays Andy Stitzer, a very very nice guy who never gets the girls. His buddies at work one day found out that he's a virgin, and decides to help him out. A premise that promises all the laughs and hilarity, and yes you'll get it in spades. Many jokes may be construed as "male chauvinistic" and may make some women go "is that how men thinks??". The truth is, yes, more likely than not, your boyfriend sitting next to you is like one of Andy's buddies - the normal guys. Andy is the abnormal one. But the truth be told, it is the "normal" guys that chicks fall for and not the weirdo geeks like Andy that catches the eye. Ironically, Andy is more a gentleman than the rest, and thanks to his niceness, many women might never know.

Reason why I love this movie so much is how much I could relate to it. :) Yes .. I am a geek who hasn't gotten a girlfriend for the past 10 years. And I could understand why. I move too slowly because I wanna respect the girls, and it is always the "smarties" or the "Sauvies" who ends up with the chicks. More often than not, I become the "best friend". And this movie tells it all. It is the voice for all the nice people out there, and it urges women to see beyond the clothes, the hairstyle and the sweet talkings.

"Unlike you guys I love women. I respect them. I love them so much that I stay away from them" says Andy. As funny as it sounds, it brings an ache to the heart when you hear it. Because you know these people exist, and they can't help being laughed at as a loser, when they choose to be a good person.

But this is human nature we're talking about - bad boys always get the girls. There are tons of movies that show that, and for once, there's a movie that shows the other voice, and shows him as a hero. A must watch - for both boys and girls.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

but you got meee......... purrrr ;)

jky said...

Promise ah! That the show is good... I'm watching it tomorrow. And Steve Carrell rocks :) You should watch Anchorman!

jky said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Yee-wei Chai said...

Jean: Anchorman was hilarious. :)

Paris: But u ain't got to me yet ....

avalon said...

oh dear 10 years is a long time. too bad i can't help...