Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Straitstimes subscription based now

Straitstimes .... arguably the most biased newspaper in the world ... and the only paper in Singapore where u can get all the politically correct news (to none other than the PAP) is now subscription based only. WOW!!!!

Lemme count how many papers out there in the world does that? .... NY times was the first to start a "free registration" thingy and almost every major online newspaper followed suit (incl. Straitstimes) .... Now ... Singapore straitstimes wants to be the leader .... to be one of the first *ahem* "mainstream" newspaper to go subscription. We'll see how well it does ...

I have stopped reading the local govt propaganda brainwashing newspaper for a while already .. but started to read up the online version ... now they want me to pay .... ok ... I'll stick with my usual Google news, NY times and BBC, India times etc .... and if there's any Singapore-worthy happenings? I think it shld appear there .... but I seriously wonder .... who cares ...

6 comments:

Sylvia said...

Well. We all suffer from some form of propaganda or other. Even CNN is not biased. If you watched Fox News (from United States), you will find biasedness too. Very entertaining biasedness too, follow one of their very famous commenters' work, Ann Coulter, our Michigan Alumni, to get a taste.

http://www.anncoulter.org/


During the war on Iraq and capture of Saddam Hussein, Fox News broadcast a clip on Saddam undergoing a humiliating body examination almost 80 times per day, for a week! CNN and MSNBC stopped after a couple days. Come on, of course, Saddam is the most evil creature. But....

Anyway, Straitstimes has its good points too! Didn't you depend on its good reviews to bring you good $$$? *wink*

Yee-wei Chai said...

Please ... so I am to be "bought" by their good reviews and thus I shouldn't criticize them? So if they throw me a threat of writing a bad review of my restaurant I shld keep my mouth shut? Hmmm ... then what does it says about the Straitstime's integrity?

Well, the fact that I didn't mention the other US networks doesn't mean I think they are not biased. In fact I hate Fox networks and never followed them. And CNN Crossfire is a bloody joke. But Sylvia, you shouldn't fall into the typical Singaporean habit of using "but others also like that" to justify their actions. If it is a bad decision/article/action, then it shld be reported as so. Just as if my food is bad, my customers will vote with their money.

Yee-wei Chai said...

By the way, Straitstimes had never written about us. Only Today's newspaper and Business Times - which are all under the same bloody conglomerate ... but who isn't .. even 8 freaking days ....

Damn ... talk about choices ....

Sylvia said...

By the way, your curry and curry place is great. But I bet I can cook a meaner curry than your chef. Ah-hahaha

Jean.Chua said...

No no, Today and 8 Days are under MediaCorp, which runs the radio and TV stations.

Straits Times and Business Times - ahem - is under SPH. We are "rivals" la.

Yee-wei Chai said...

hahahha :P .. my bad .... well ... straitstimes has never written about us ... but even if they do .. I dunnthink they shld go full subscription .... maybe their archived article shld be subscription .... but daily news shldn't be ... but i guess u must have really well written articles/editorials/columns/commentaries to make pple wanna pay subscriptions to read those ... cos otherwise .... daily news ... u can get everywhere ...